"One of the most wonderful things about knowing God is that there's always so much more to know, so much more to discover. Just when we least expect it, He intrudes into our neat and tidy notions about who He is and how He works." --Joni Eareckson Tada
“What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.” --AW Tozer
A year or so ago, one of the handouts that came with a Bible Study we did with the youth group was a list of the attributes of God, each one including a simple definition and some scripture verses to read. I kept the list (posted below), and recently used it to begin a personal study of the attributes of God. I want to know Him more, and come to a fuller realization of His whole character, not just the parts I like to think about or hear about.
I hope to share my thoughts on this subject and the verses that I have found in a series of blog posts about the Attributes of God. I have no special insights and haven't been going very far in depth, but to focus on Who God Is has been encouraging to me. I thought that maybe it would encourage someone else.
The Attributes of God
- Omniscient - Knows Everything
- Omnipotent - Has All Power
- Omnipresent - Present Everywhere; All the Time
- Eternal - No Beginning and End; Not Confined to Time
- Immutable - God Never Changes
- Incomprehensible - Beyond Our Understanding
- Self-Existent - Depends on Nothing for His Existence
- Self-Sufficient - Brings About His Will Without Help
- Infinite - No Limits
- Transcendent - Above Creation; Exists Totally Apart from His Creation
- Soverign - He Is In Total Control and is Totally Supreme; God Does Whatever He Pleases
- Holy - Morally Excellent; Perfect
- Righteous - Always Does Right
- Just - Fair in All His Actions
- Merciful - Exhibits Active Compassion Against Those Who Offend Him
- Long Suffering - Righteous Anger is Slow To Be Kindled
- Wise - Causes Him to Choose Righteous Ends
- Loving - Exhibits a Love Not Based on Worth or Merit of Object of His Love
- Good - God Gives According to His Good Will
- Wrathful - Hatred for All Unrighteousness
- Truthful - Whatever God Says Is...Truth; God of Truth
- Faithful - Always True to Promises
- Jealous - Unwilling to Share What is Rightfully His*
*Jealous does not refer to the shallow human emotion but speaks of God's intolerance to divided loyalty by those who are in covenant with Him.
1 comment:
I will be looking forward to this! I loved reading the list as well. : )
Post a Comment