Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Midnight Song

Someone wrote me a note in a baby shower card to the effect of, "Remember that waking up at midnight with her is your privilege."  I started thinking about how a woman who can't have children, or a mother whose child dies would love to get up in the middle of the night to care for her baby. And people (everyone from the elderly lady who burst out crying at a garage sale, to the Schwans man) kept repeating these cliches to me about how fast time with your children goes.

A few months ago, when Melinda was teething and waking up 5-8 times a night, I composed this song to maintain my perspective -- and my sanity. (Sometimes if I know that nothing is bothering her and she has just eaten I will let her cry, but usually I get up and comfort her. This is why:)

Another night. . .
I wonder how much sleep I'll get this time?
Another cry . . .
So I get up to sing my lullaby.
At times you put my patience to the test.
I wish I could have one whole night of rest.

But they say, "It goes so fast,"
And, "These are the years that won't last."
And they say, "This too shall pass,"
That I am the one who is blessed.
And maybe someday I'll wish I had known
When I wake up and see how much you've grown
You'll have a thousand nights to sleep the whole night through
So I can give up one more hour for you.

Her empty arms . . .
They long to have a baby keep them warm.
A mother's heart . . .
That cries because her little ones are gone.
She'd love to spend the night walking the floor.
She wishes she could hold them close once more.

And they say, "It goes so fast,"
And, "These are the years that won't last."
And they say, "This too shall pass,"
That I am the one who is blessed.
And maybe someday I'll wish I had known
When I wake up and see how much you've grown
I'll have a thousand nights to sleep the whole night through
So I can give up one more hour for you.

It isn't always easy for me,
Perspective can be difficult to see,
So Lord, remind me
That they say . . .
This is
My privilege.

1 comment:

Julia Hoover said...

Hearing you sing and play it with that cute little girl in pink singing along, looking at you with such loving eyes just really made it come alive. So beautiful!