Thursday, April 14, 2011

Omniscient [Attributes of God]

You've probably heard it too. A question is posed -- something as simple as, "I wonder when they're going to show up?" or a hypothetical, "What will ever become of this country?"
The quick reply with a shrug is, "God only knows."
Although often flippant and irreverent, the words speak of God's omniscience. Even ungodly people who speak these words are acknowledging that God -- in order to be God -- must have all knowledge. And He does.

God knows everything. He sees every action I perform, every job I do and each step that I take. He hears my joyful laughter and sees my heartbroken tears. He knows each life-changing moment that I experience as well as the familiar rhythm of my daily routine.

"Doth not He see my ways and count all my steps?" (Job 31:4, KJV)

"The Lord looketh from heaven; he beholdeth all the sons of men. From the place of his habitation he looketh upon all the inhabitants of the earth. He considereth all their works." (Psalm 33:13-15, KJV)

The knowledge God has of my life extends beyond the visible to the deepest parts of my soul. He knows my thoughts -- what I'm going to say even before a word is on my tongue. Hidden motives, secret wishes, and my heart's intentions are all laid bare before His knowledge.

"O Lord, you have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you understand my thought from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it all." (Psalm 139:1-4, NASB)

"Sheol (the place of the dead) and Abaddon (the abyss, the final place of the accuser Satan) are both before the Lord--how much more, then, the hearts of the children of men?" (Proverbs 15:11, Amplified)

As if this isn't amazing enough, take it a step further. This knowledge that God has of me, He has had from the beginning of time. "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you. . . " (Jer 1:5, NIV) His knowledge extends to every one of the billions of people that lives on the earth -- has lived in the past -- will ever live in the future. And that's only the very beginning of His knowledge.

"Great is our Lord and abundant in strength. His understanding is infinite." (Psalm 147:5, NASB)

Is this mind boggling yet? Because we go on. The knowledge of God is infinite. It has no limits. He not only knows what is happening on earth, he knows why. Any question you can think of, he knows the answer. Man's knowledge is amazing. Think of scientists, inventors, and everything they've discovered in the past 100 years! People can now go to the moon or view an entire human body through medical devices. Through knowledge (God-given) brilliant people are still learning more and more about DNA, about disease, outer space, electronic devices, health, nature, weather patterns, botany, construction, architectry, music, and on and on. But the most intelligent scholar or scientist that is alive today knows nothing compared to God.

"Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? . . . Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men." (1 Cor. 1:20, 25)


Man's knowledge will always have a limit. No matter how amazing the discovery, every human being will still reach a point where the only answer is, "I don't know." God is the only one with ALL knowledge.
The thought that God knows everything may bring about different reactions, depending on the state of my heart. If I am living in disobedience to God, or have unconfessed sin in my life, then I will be uncomfortable and even fearful to remember that God sees my sin, no matter how skilled I may be at hiding it.

"My eyes are on all their ways; they are not hidden from me, nor is their sin concealed from my eyes." (Jer 16:17, NIV)


"He revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him." (Daniel 2:22, KJV)

But if I am a faithful follower of the Lord, then it will bring me great comfort and encouragement. Even in the mundane and seemingly insignificant areas in life, God sees my obedience and He knows my service. Nathaniel was just living a godly life day-by-day, and probably not expecting much honor or recognition when Jesus suddenly pointed to him as ". . . an Isrealite indeed, in whom there is no deceit!" Nathanael said to him, "How do you know me?" Jesus answered and said unto him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you." (John 1:47-48, NASB)

Can I use my imagination here? I've always pictured Nathaniel just sitting under the fig tree, not doing much (eating figs, maybe?) and minding his own business. He probably wasn't in the public eye. But -- if this is not taking things too far -- I wonder if something happened under that fig tree. I wonder if a situation came up where Nathaniel was tempted to lie, cheat, steal or dwell on impurity. . . something so subtle that no one would ever have seen him. I wonder if he resisted the urge to sin and chose instead to honor God with his actions. And he was indeed seen -- and commended -- by the Lord Himself.

"Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his." (2 Tim 2:19, KJV)

If I began to understand God's omniscience, how would this affect my life?

  • It would make me less impatient with circumstances. In whatever chaos that is happening in the world, understanding that God not only sees (and cares about) my circumstances but also knows the reasons why, should bring me peace. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. (Psalm 142:3, KJV)
  • It would increase my trust. "Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask Him." Matt 6:8
  • It would transform my life and thoughts to remember that whether they are good or bad, pure or corrupt, Christ-like or carnal, God knows all.
Lord may I be more aware of this: that you know and see everything. I am under your scrutiny and open before you. Make me live worthy of you. Keep me from "hidden" sins, for nothing is hidden from you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is really good. I needed it right now.

This makes me miss you and those times that I would go over to your house for lunch.

Sarah said...

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and taking time to encourage.

I'm so glad I discovered your blog through one of the many piano teaching blogs I follow :)