Throughout all of Scripture -- from the beginning declaration of "Let there be light" to the last triumphant Amen, the Power of God is evident in the story of His redemption.
For God to be omnipotent means that He has all power. I'm beginning to think that I have lost sight of that. I feel that I recognize God's power in a broad sense (His power to save or power in heaven) but when it comes to personal circumstances or real life experiences I am forgetful -- even skeptical -- of God's power being at work. Someone claims a changed life? I wonder how long that will last. Someone believes that they've encountered a miracle? Coincidence. Questions plague me? I'll figure it out on my own.
This is when I desperately need to go back to the Scripture and look for the truth about the power of God. I need to lose myself in awe of His greatness. I need to stand and remember that our God is omnipotent. Not sort of powerful. Not sometimes powerful. Not mostly powerful. But all-powerful.
"No one is like you, O Lord; you are great, and your name is mighty in power." (Jer. 10:6, NIV)
"Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things. In your hands are strength and power to exalt and give strength to all." (1 Chron. 29:12, NIV)
"Once God has spoken, twice I have heard this: that power belongs to God. . ." (Psalm 62:11, NASB)
". . .for Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen." (Matt. 6:13, KJV)
Time and again we are reminded that nothing stands in the way of God's plan, and nothing can overcome God's power. "Ah Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by your great power and by your outstretched arm! Nothing is too difficult for you." Jer 32:17
The angel challenged Sarah, "Is anything too hard for the Lord?" (Gen 18:14, NIV)
The Lord said to Moses, "Is the Lord's power limited? Now you shall see whether my word will come true for you or not." (Numbers 11:23, NASB)
And Gabriel declared this same truth to Mary. "For with God nothing shall be impossible," (Luke 1:37 KJV)
Read the accounts of these miracles. They only show the beginning of God's omnipotence. Scripture is full of examples of the Lord's power.
Power over nature
. . . over men
. . . over sickness
. . .over evil
. . . over sin
. . .and even over death.
"Now God has not only raised the Lord, but will also raise us up through His power." (1 Cor 6:14, NASB) God's power not only saves the world -- He redeems and changes individual lives!
If I began to understand God's omnipotence, how would that affect my life?
- It would make me more hopeful"What then shall we say in response to this?If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Rom. 8:31, NIV)
- It would make me more prayerful"The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16, KJV)
- It would make me more faithful "I know that You can do all things, And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted." (Job 42:2, NASB)
1 comment:
This was beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your heart. I can identify completely with where you are coming from. It can be so easy to forget God's power, but what a difference an awareness of that factor can make in our lives.
Have you ever heard the song, "How Great is Our God" by Chris Tomlin? This post brought it to mind. The song speaks of how great our God truly is. It has the power to move me to tears.
Post a Comment